Sunday, December 9, 2012

New boardwalk

I spent a couple of hours at Suan Rot Fai this morning, the highlight being 1-2 Black-winged Cuckooshrikes, an occasional winterer/ passage migrant here in central Bangkok.

Not much else of note - a few Taiga and Asian Brown Flys, good numbers of Black-naped Orioles, Coppersmith Barbets and common sturnidae species enjoying the continued abundance of trees in fruit, and a couple of Black-capped Kingfishers.

Notable by their absence so far this winter are Thick-billed Warblers - I have not seen a single one on the patch yet (normally seen from early November until April), and I have also noticed reduced numbers of Brown Shrikes (only one seen on my last visit and a single heard today).

One bit of (good?) news is that a boardwalk and nature trail has been installed in "The Clump" - a previously impenetrable, isolated patch of bushes in the ornamental park which I have always thought held Zoothera potential but had been very hard to work. Now it can be easily accessed but I guess it remains to be seen how much disturbance it gets...

No comments: