Thursday, October 15, 2009

14th October - Birding in the outdoor sauna


This is what a REAL one looks like...

A late afternoon trip to the local patch found me struggling - mid afternoon rain and high humidity meant that the air was full of steam, and when I removed my bins and camera from my bag (which had been in my air conditioned study all day) they immediately fogged up! My first of three BROWN SHRIKES was watched through fogged bins; a male BLACK-NAPED ORIOLE buzzed over; TAIGA FLYCATCHERS were very conspicuous (at least five seen), and ARCTIC WARBLER did its best to offer photo opportunities, but I had my shutter speed too low for most of the shots (idiot!). A BLACK-CAPPED KINGFISHER showed distantly, a BLUE-TAILED BEE-EATER made a couple of passes and a hidden ASIAN BROWN FLY called but didn't reveal itself. The Park's fairways are now covered in unidentifiable POND HERONS, and a couple of LITTLE HERONS showed. A final adult male BROWN SHRIKE showed well and tolerated flash photography just be fore heading off to roost in thick cover.

Arctic Warbler

Black-capped Kingfisher



No comments: