Sunday, May 10, 2015

Five broadbills in five hours


Silver-breasted Broadbill

I spent this morning birding at Kaeng Krachan National Park, focusing on the "three streams" area  beyond Bang Krang camp. Being a weekend in the middle of nesting season this area was very very popular with bird phtographers, but I still managed to get away from the crowds to find my own birds.

As I dove through the National Park soon after first light I picked up three Blue-winged Pittas calling to one another, and stopped the car to attempt to get views. I saw one fly across the road but the other two were in dense cover and unwilling to show.  I had another B-w Pitta calling near the camp site.

Once at the three streams area I managed to see lots of great birds with little effort: Silver-breasted Broadbills were nesting out in the open, and I found a small flock made up of Silver-breasted and Long-tailed Broadbills associating with a male Orange-breasted Trogon!  This was soon followed by a party of Rusty-cheeked Hornbills putting on a show, then I had a large game bird (probably a female Kalij Pheasant) flush across the track, and a Bittern spp fly past me at Stream 3.

adult Rusty-cheeked Hornbill

juv Rusty-cheeked Hornbill

Walking back from Stream 3 I located a family party of Dusky Broadbills, and heard both Banded and Black-and yellow Broadbills singing. A quick stop at Stream 2 to join the throng treated me to brief by very nice views of an Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher bringing food to a nest.


Oriental Dwarf Kingfisher

Dusky Broadbill

White-handed Gibbon


1 comment: