Saturday, May 9, 2015

Friday 8th May - Final day of spring patchwork

Today really was the last chance for finding spring migrants in Suan Rot Fai.  I am birding elsewhere over the weekend and then busy all of next week, so by the time I get a chance to do the patch again it will be devoid of migrants.

This morning was, for the time of year typically hard work, with temperatures of 37 celcius by the time I finished at 8.30am and exceptional humidity. The only notables were the Indian Cuckoo seen a few days ago, a late Asian Brown Flycatcher and a Stork-billed Kingfisher. I also had poor views of a distant flycatcher, perching high in bar branches, which I suppose was a dark-sided, but there was no way to clinch the ID. About five Chinese Pond Herons were still hanging around - it will be interesting to see if any over summer as has happened in the last two years.

No comments: