Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Ruby Wednesday

I'm in Mae Sot again this week, and so I made a short pre-breakfast visit to the fields south of the airport, just a kilometer or so from the Burmese border.  The highlight this morning was a rather crispy male Siberian Rubythroat that I coaxed out of thick streamside cover with a little bit of help from my iPhone.Whilst Rubthroat is supposedly a common winter visitor I seem to run into very few indeed because I do very little birding in open, agricultural scrub - and I'm desperate to find one on my patch in downtown Bangkok!

There were also lots of spankingly bright male Siberian Stonechats and Pied Bushchats in breeding plumage whizzing around, a dozen or so Barn Swallows (including a male singing, which suddenly brought forth a flood of nostalgia for British summers gone by!), several Red-rumped Swallows, five or six Paddyfield Pipits, two Thick-billed Warblers and a couple of Duskys.

No comments: