Sunday, February 17, 2013

Confusing Hawk-cuckoo




Highlight of my visit to Suan Rot Fai this morning was this Large Hawk-cuckoo which I initially thought was Hodgson's, however looking at it more carefully I've realised it is a Large Hawk-cuckoo.  Size was hard to determine due to the fact that it was alone, although I almost wrote it off when I first glimpsed it, thinking it was an Asian Koel (much closer in size to Large, rather than Hodgson's). Other factors counting against Hodgson's are the lack of a narrow second-to-last tail band, apparent lack of rufous-tinged tail tip, and the apparent barring (rather than streaking) that is developing on the sides of the breast. Compare with this Hodgeson's that I found two years ago.

Other notables this morning included 1-2 Pale-legged Leaf Warblers and a single Thick-billed Warbler.


No comments: