Saturday, September 29, 2012

Norfolk & Cambs

28th and 29th spent in Norfolk, seeing my friend Sacha and not so many birds.

I did Burhman Overy Dunes on 28th, avoiding the twitchers looking for the Booted Warbler (which had gone) and the Barred Warbler (which was present but was hiding as I passed). Things I did see included one very active Redstart, one Whitethroat, one Garden Warbler,  three Chiffchaffs and a Hobby.  It was hard to dig anything out in the strong breeze - birds were keeping low in the patches of scrub and it took a lot of sitting, waiting and pishing to see what I did.

The 29th was spent flogging Blakeney Point, Sacha's local patch, to seek out any migrants.  We did pretty poorly with 1-2 Wheatears, two Stonechats,  two Song Thrushes and a Garden Warbler. Best was a group of four Spoonbills that went east down the Point early AM.

Good numbers of Pink-footed Geese seen on both days, moving along the coast, and I wonder about the origin of a party of four Barnacle Geese that I saw at Burnham.

Northern Wheatear, Blakeney Pt
My last bit of UK birding on 30th was spent at Fen Drayton RSPB in Cambridgeshire, which seemed to have more warblers than the coast!

Long-tailed Tit, Fen Drayton RSPB

Chiffchaff, Fen Drayton RSPB



No comments: