Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Was that it?

Easy Taiga!

Did Suan Rot Fai from 0615-0745 this morning, with little in the way of rewards - 5 TAIGA FLYCATCHERS, a couple of ASIAN BROWN FLYCATCHERS, single BROWN SHRIKE, two BLACK-CAPPED KINGFISHERS, three BLUE-TAILED BEE-EATERS, and four BLACK-NAPED ORIOLES were the sum total of the migrants/winterers seen. Still a complete lack of phylloscs which has me mystified, especially as there were a number of yellow-browed warblers calling in Khao Yai over the weekend and I would expect to be hearing them in SRF; and it appears that the eastern-crowned and arctics I was seeing in September were exclusively passage birds (I had expected some winterers to stick). So perhaps my autumn is over??! I have looked back at the BCST records (all stored on their website) for the last few years, and it appears that passage should be continuing (including migrant Hooded and Blue-winged Pittas as an outside possibility at the end of Oct/beginning of Nov) so I guess I just have to keep working SRF hard and see what I can find.

In the mean time, I have these to keep me entertained...

Coppersmith Barbet

No comments: