Friday, March 1, 2013

A week in the provinces

I've been away for the last few days, firstly in Saraburi province where the birding was pretty uninspiring, with the best being a good number of Racket-tailed Treepies whilst out early one morning. Since Wednesday I've been in Mae Sot in Tak province where the focus has been very much on work, but early this morning I made an excursion to some fields that I found using googlemaps, located to the south of the Mae Sot airport.  This open country didn't seem too promising, but gave me enough justification to have made the effort when I found a Wryneck (only my second in SE Asia!) as well as a few Thick-billed, Fan-tailed and Dusky Warblers, several rather smart-looking Sibe Stonechats and Pied Bush Chats and an Australasian Bush Lark in song flight.

I'm not really sure of the status of Wryneck in Thailand, and suspect its one of those things that I rarely see simply because I don't spend much time birding in the right habitat - this one, and the bird I saw in Burma last year have both been in dry scrub.

I made one short stop on the six hour drive back to Bangkok, which produced about 20 Asian Golden Weavers and a female Eastern Marsh Harrier.






No comments: