Saturday, February 23, 2013

Storks and Stork-bill


 A couple of hours on the patch early morning provided me with prolonged views of the Stork-billed Kingfisher that has been around since December, whilst I also had the biggest count of Open-billed Storks that I have recorded at the site - how many were actually present is a point of conjecture, but I saw 12 together, and odd ones and twos at various points, so I think 17 individuals is accurate - quite remarkable given that the first time I saw any in the park (rather than a fly-over at considerable altitude) was a pair in April last year and numbers have steadily built up ever since.

Also present this morning were 3-4 Brown Shrikes, 2 Yellow-browed Warblers, 4-5 Taiga Flycatchers 1 Asian Brown Flycatcher, 2 Barn Swallows, a Yellow Bittern and 3 Night Herons (one adult and two sub-adults).

Chinese Pond Heron




No comments: