Wednesday, October 23, 2013

Winter City Falcon

Today's pre-work walk around the grounds of the Ministry of Public Relations produced my first Common Kestrel record of the winter. Kestrels are uncommon winterers in Bangkok, and whilst I have seen several before in the city, the species still eludes my patch list!

There are apparently two races that occur here (one that breeds in Siberia and the other in China), though I think you might be hard-pushed to ID one to race in the field.  Certainly the views I got this morning (briefly, as it was being chased by a couple of Large-billed Crows) put the bird beyond that level of classification.

Other migrants this morning included 1-2 Brown Shrikes, two Asian Brown Flycatchers, three Black-naped Orioles and six Yellow-browed Warblers (YBWs often seem to peak in late Oct/early Nov).

No comments: