Tuesday, November 24, 2015

Mae Sot paddies

I am in Mae Sot for a couple of days this week, so this morning visited the paddies to see what I could find. Best bird was a Rufous-winged Buzzard, with other raptors seen being a Black-winged Kite and  Common Kestrel.

Warblers included several Thick-billed and at least three Black-browed Reed Warblers, whilst wagtails were limited to a flock of about 10 Amur Wagtails, and the pipits consisted on just a couple of Paddyfield Pipits. I had poor views of a couple of Strawberry Finches and several Plain-backed Sparrows, plus several Sibe Stonechats and a three Pied Bushchats.

Amur Wagtail

Paddyfield Pipit



1 comment:

MNUSA said...

How interesting! I traveled through Mae Sot on my way to Ban Tha Song Yang last year, but only saw Mae Sot at night. Seeing the Thai countryside at sunrise from the back of a songthaew was one of the best experiences of my life and I long to go back to that region. To be honest, I don't know that much about birds, preferring to study mosquitoes myself, but I found your blog through Twitter and enjoy your mix of birding photos and links to Thai-centered current events. Your account makes me feel like I have a connection to both the country and the countryside and I appreciate your work.

- Trevor K