Sunday, January 3, 2010

2nd Jan 2010 - keeping a year list

I've not kept a year list for about 20 years, but as I have quite a lot of travel planned in 2010 I'm going to have a go this year.  Trips lined up include the Philippines, Bhutan, the US and possibly Oz and Nepal.  I'm not going to go for stuff in Thailand simply to year list, so I don't expect the total to be massive.  My guess (hope) would be 500 spp.....

Started off the year list today with some waders at Khok Kham.  I'm not aware that any spoon-billed sandpipers have been seen there this winter (very bad news, especially as there are only 2 at Pak Thale), and I couldn't grill the RED-NECKED STINT flock as it was distant.  Managed both GREAT and RED KNOT (first time I've seen Red Knot in Thailand I think), with about 20 of the former and 10 of the latter. Huge numbers of SANDPLOVERS, a single GREENSHANK, plus good numbers of both BROAD-BILLED SANDPIPERS and CURLEW SANDPIPERS.

Also saw a PAINTED STORK fly over just as I was leaving at dusk.

No comments: