Sunday, January 31, 2016

Samut Songkhram waders

Free time this morning offered various options, but I decide to head back to the salt pans where I has undertaken my Asian Waterbird Census last weekend to do the area (north of route 35) that I had not done last week. My aim was to look for waders, with the (slim) hope of finding a Spoon-billed Sandpiper or one of our other local star species (take your pick from Nordmann's Greenshank, Asian Dowitcher or Great Knot).

The area I checked had limited numbers of waders, but I'm glad I finally took some time to visit as I have driven past it many times without stopping and wondered if it has much potential. There was the usual suite of waders, which it is easy to get too blasé about - about 10 Long-toed Stints, 70+Red-necked Stints,  a couple of Pacific Golden Plover, multiple small flocks of Marsh Sandpipers.

Afterwards I returned to the pools on the south side of the highway where I had seem the Asiatic Dowitchers and Great Knot last week, with today the highlight being 22 Great Knot (but no Dowitchers).

Long-toed Stint

Common Greenshank

Black-tailed Godwit

No comments: