Sunday, August 12, 2012

Borderland Adventures (Part II)

After yesterday's disaster with the car's eletrical system I was saved by a late night vehicle swap care of the hire car company.  This meant I had the whole day to explore the Mae Sot-Umpang road,  and despite dreary weather and regular heavy showers I managed to get a fair haul of birds.  I missed out on the hoped for Burmese Yuhina, but that wasn't too surprising as it seems to be a fairly low density species, and this area is so good that I'm happy to have an incentive to return in the near future.
view over Umphang from KM 126

Probably the best record of the day was a "heard only" - a distant Rusty-napped Pitta that called four or five times soon after I had parked the car at KM 121 at about 7.30am. 

The selection of goodies that I actually saw included single White-browed Piculet and Stripe-breasted Woodpecker, a male Red-headed Trogon, three Blue-bearded Bee-eaters, two Little Cuckoo Doves, several Bar-winged Flycatcher-Shrike, at least four White-crowned Forktails, two Velvet-fronted Nuthatches, a single White-throated Bulbul and a couple of Black-throated Laughingthrushes.

Babblers were well represented, with both White-browed and Coral-billed Scimitar Babblers seen early morning between Km 120 and 121, along with Buff-breasted Babbler, Golden Babbler and Grey-throated Babbler in the same area, plus Blyth's Shrike Babbler and the largest flock of Silver-eared Mesia (some 30 birds) that I have seen for a long time).  I did also see a small group of Striated Yuhina, which had me going for a bit (they showed briefly before diving for cover  as a heavy shower came in) but I got enough on them to rule out Burmese.

No comments: